New Year, New Walls!

Sometimes you just need a little more room, and what better time to blow out some walls than right after you’ve been cooped up with family for the holidays!

With our first big project of the new year we’re pushing the knee walls back about three feet on each side of this master bedroom to make room for a desk and bookshelves. There’s even some talk about getting crazy and putting a couch up here.

While the work moves along on the new knee walls we’re also opening a wall out in the hallway to change the direction of a small stairwell. This house has about 75 tiny sets of stairs and much of a pain as hauling drywall up and down and up again, these stairs were awkward and made access to the attic incredibly inconvenient.

We remembered to snap a picture of how the stairs were laid out so you can see that the stairs go up directly into the wall with the landing of the attic space to the right. With that kind of awkward maneuvering the attic space was unusable for storing anything substantial. Did I mention that this house doesn’t have a basement? There’s just a crawlspace so this attic is the only serious storage it offers.

The new stairs will run parallel to the staircase leading up to the hallway, and we’ll be reusing that door on the right. Once we rebuild the stairs they’ll extend past the existing wall, so that means more drywall fun.

🧰Visit us at preferredserviceswny to see more of this home improvement story and find out how it all turns out!

Throwback Thursday to Our Highland Porch Rehab

Highland Porch, Preferred Services of WNY; Buffalo NY 2017

Earlier this week we mentioned that we had done work for Molly, the owner of Buckminster’s Cat Café.  Unless you follow us on Instagram you may not have seen the pictures of that job from back in August 2017.

Molly was having a problem with her front porch; the railings were bowing out, you bounced across the deck boards as you walked.  Once we started pulling up deck boards we realized the porch was in much worse shape than we’d thought.

What we assumed would be securing a few joists  and replacing the deck boards turned into replacing them entirely. Nearly all of the joists had completely rotted out and broken away from the nails that should have been holding them in place.  The deck was bouncy because it was missing most of its joists; there weren’t more than three left in place supporting the weight of the deck boards.

As it turned out, those posts the railings are secured to aren’t just supporting the railings. Those are eight foot posts that rest on the concrete pad the entire porch was built on. The problem with this is that the garden that surrounds the porch had started pushing against the side of the porch, and as that weight pushed on the walls, it pushed on the railings as well, kicking them out. We had to dig out around the wall in order to push them out. Once we pulled up the deckboards we could get in there and push the walls back out and then add additional supports to tie everything together to keep it from shifting again.

The stairs had been in in pretty bad shape, too.  While we had everything ripped apart we rebuilt the stairs entirely, adding a third stringer down the middle that should have been there to begin with.

We wrapped up by repainting the new deckboards the same color as the old ones.  At first glance it may look the same as when we arrived, but with the new joists and additional supports throughout to keep the structure squared up and tied together, this rehab should definitely hold up for years to come.


This slideshow requires JavaScript.